Thursday, May 5, 2011

A close call at the Joppa Post Office

Today, Administrative Assistant Belinda Smith sent us some more pictures of last week's tornado that were taken by Joppa OIC Peggy Malone. 





After seeing them, we had to write to Ms. Malone and ask her some questions. Where were you when you took the pictures? What were you thinking? How did you feel?


She was kind enough to respond at length. Read about her terrifying experience in her own words: 


I had just spoken with Mr. Mayberry who had called to check on us, and I told him that I had just heard on the radio that there was a wedge cloud spotted in Baileyton, which is about 5 minutes away from us.  

When I hung up from talking to him, the phone rang again, and it was Clint Blackmon, SSDA  from the Lacey's Spring Post Office calling to check on us, also.  As I talked to him, I was walking to the window. I had told him that we were ok and what I had heard on the radio. 

About that time, I got to the window and saw the full wedge cloud that appeared to be coming directly toward me.  I screamed, "Oh gosh, Clint, there is a tornado headed right for us."  Clint told me that I needed to take cover.  I told him it was huge.  


Then, I said, " I have to call my husband."  


As I was walking, I screamed to him, "Oh no! My carrier is still on the route!"  


When I reached my husband, he also said to take cover. I told him it was across the road, so to calm me down, he said, "Well, take pictures then."  He knew this would distract me if I was not in danger. 

My carrier, Sherri Hipp, was delivering mail in the path of the storm.  She was alerted by a customer, who came flying out of her driveway.  This caused her to look up and see the storm coming.  She turned around in the customer's driveway and headed to a storm shelter.  That customer only has half of their home left.  The next three customers that Sherri would have served have no home left at all.

So to answer your question, I was looking out the side window of the post office for the picture with the blue building.  The others were taken at the front door of the post office.  Actually, I couldn't think at first.  This storm was mesmerizing; all I could do was stare, this thing was so big.  

Then, of course I thought of my family, which is why I needed to hear my husband's voice.  I was also concerned that I still had a carrier out there who was in the path of the storm.  I was shaky, but my faith held me together.  I don't know how people can make it through something like that and not have faith in God. 

I called the Arab Post Office to warn them that it was headed straight for them.  I could not reach them, so I called Mr. Mayberry back to let him know that he needed to warn Arab.  When the carrier was back safe and sound, I called Mr Mayberry back to let him know.  He was very comforting and helped me when I spoke with him because at that point I broke down.

Thanks for your interest. You don’t  have to share the whole story if you don't want to.  I just wanted to let you know the frame of what was happening when I took the pictures.  Oh also, I did take cover under a table in the midst of all that.